On February 2, 2023, Albion Residential met with the ZBA to review their variance request for 5303 Butler Street. The variance requested was a 71′ high building (45′ maximum building height currently permitted). The ZBA has approved the requested variance with conditions, including:
- “The building design shall include 12′ stepbacks from Butler St and the Firehouse Parcel, as described;
- The historic firehouse shall be restored and retained as part of the development, as described;
- All eligible housing units will accept Housing Choice Vouchers;
- The development shall comply with the guidelines outlined in the Butler Street Design Guidelines plan, including the installation of bump outs at Butler Street/McCandless Avenue and Butler Street/53rd Street, and the provision of a bus shelter;
- The dog park on the Firehouse Parcel will be made accessible to the public during the hours that it is open, with appropriate signage; and
- The development team is to work with the community groups to establish a construction mitigation plan, before construction commences, to minimize disruptions to the Persad Center and other stakeholders.”
The full ZBA approval can be read here.