To open as a PDF, please click HERE.
Announcement of Open Position
Lawrenceville Farmers Market Manager
Part-Time (10-15 hours/week), Year Round
About Lawrenceville United
Lawrenceville United (LU) is an inclusive, resident-driven community-based non-profit organization dedicated to improving and protecting the quality of life of all Lawrenceville residents. LU is an equal opportunity employer and qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and represent marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply. For more information about LU, please visit www.LUnited.org.
About the Lawrenceville Farmers Market
The mission of the Lawrenceville Farmers Market is to provide access to fresh, locally-produced foods for all Lawrenceville residents and visitors in an inclusive, vibrant, and safe community space. The Market aims to lower barriers to fresh, healthy food especially for low-income families, older adults, and individuals with food insecurity or low food access and to support the development of a strong and sustainable local food system with farmers and small business owners. Originally created by a group of volunteer residents in 2011, the Lawrenceville Farmers Market now runs as an official LU program every Tuesday from 4-7 p.m. at Arsenal Park, June through October. In 2019, the Market saw considerable growth after a move from Saturday afternoons to Tuesday evenings, with an average of 21 vendors and 822 attendees on a given Market day. Moving into the 2020 season, our goals are to continue the momentum generated in 2019 towards building a sustainable and quality Market, improve the diversity of vendors and variety of products, and improve participation and programming for target populations.
Summary of Position
The Farmers Market Manager is the main staff person responsible for the day-to-day planning and operation of the Lawrenceville Farmers Market, with support from the full-time Community Engagement & Program Manager. The position averages approximately 10-15 hours per week, year-round, with opportunity for more. Key responsibilities include:
- Marketing and public relations: including creating and distributing all marketing materials (banners, flyers, postcards, etc.), managing press coverage, updating directories, editing website, operating multiple social media channels for the Farmers Market, and sending a weekly e-newsletter (via Mailchimp).
- Vendor recruitment: aggressively seeking out vendors consistent with the policies and targets of the Market, retaining past vendors, and managing collection of documentation/paperwork.
- Vendor management: serving as point person to all vendors, communicating with all vendors on a weekly basis, managing relationships and problem solving, supporting vendors to ensure a positive and profitable. experience, designing the Market layout, and organizing pre- and mid-season vendor orientations/check-ins.
- Programming: planning, marketing, and implementing programming for the Market, including live music, chef demos, and programming for target populations (families, older adults, and low-income populations).
- Administration: collection of vendor fees, weekly record-keeping and filing, completing weekly timesheets, and filling out relevant forms related to permits for the site.
- Volunteer recruitment and management.
- Fundraising: supporting recruitment of sponsorships, grant applications/reporting, fundraising events, and managing relationships with donors and sponsors.
The Farmers Market Manager reports to and works closely with the Community Engagement & Program Manager. Weekly check-ins are expected, as well as monthly all-staff meetings. Other than the Market days (Tuesdays), hours are flexible. A Lawrenceville Farmers Market Advisory Committee, comprised of volunteers, provides advisory guidance and support to the Market.
- Minimum 1 year experience working in food access, agriculture, or program/event coordination.
- Marketing/outreach experience preferred.
- Knowledge and command of Gmail, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Nextdoor), Microsoft Office, Google Drive office suite, WordPress, Mailchimp, and Canva.
- Valid PA Driver’s License (and comfort with driving LU’s pick-up truck).
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and set-up and break-down Market supplies, including tents, tables, and a variety of supplies.
- Act 33, 34, and 73 clearances (LU can file for this if not already in hand).
- Passion for and dedication to food access and locally-sourced agriculture
- Strong ability to keep organized and prioritize a variety of tasks with limited hours
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with diverse populations and a multitude of stakeholders, including vendors, customers, sponsors, and partners
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and handle a variety of activities concurrently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to problem solve in the moment, handle complaints and disagreements that may arise
- Team-oriented, open-minded, and positive approach to all aspects of work
- Comfort with being the on-site point person for many vendors, patrons, and partners
Wages & Benefits
- 24 hours of paid sick leave per year
- Simple IRA offered with up to 3% matching funds from Lawrenceville United
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to HR@LUnited.org by April 3rd, 2020.