Job Description: Bookkeeper
The Bookkeeper of the Lawrenceville United (LU) is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day finances of the organization, including managing LU accounts and preparing reports for staff and Board members at regular intervals. The Bookkeeper reports to the Executive Director and works closely with an outside auditor to prepare the organization’s annual audited statements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs duties and responsibilities which may include the following tasks:
• General ledger data entry and maintenance, bank reconciliations, bill paying, acquiring corporate signatures for bill paying, making bank deposits and any other business relating to the financial issues of the corporation.
• Maintenance of accounts payable and general files.
• Organize information for the annual audit, which includes preparing balance sheets, profit & loss statements, and creating spreadsheets to verify balances.
• Serves as staff for Finance Committee; prepares relevant reports and agendas and convenes monthly meeting.
• Cash flow management.
• Invoice grant providers to receive funding dollars.
• Responsible for handling petty cash.
• Work with various groups to supply financial support and accounting reports.
• Deposit checks and make invoice payments.
Office and Human Resources Management:
• Monitors and ensures compliance with all governmental and funder requirements for non-profits, insurance, 501 c3 status, etc.
• Handles all leases for office equipment (i.e. phones, copiers, computers etc.).
• Oversee all insurance matters including health insurance, life insurance, general liability insurance, etc.
• Processes monthly payroll.
• Tracks vacation, sick, comp, and personal days.
• Maintains personnel files.
• Reconciles quarterly payroll reports.
• Handles employee benefits (hospitalization, dental plan and workers compensation).
• General administrative and clerical work as necessary.
Experience, Education & Abilities
• A bachelor’s degree or certification in accounting or related field.
• Experience working in community development field is preferred.
• Three or more years of progressively responsible related experience in an accounting role.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing. The candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse constituency.
• Working knowledge of Quickbooks is necessary.
• Working knowledge of Excel and Word.
• Ability to work independently in a small non-profit environment.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience, $13-$16/ hour. Flexible hours, 10-15 hours per week.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 5 pm April 3, 2014.