Name: Chelsea Holmes
Area: 9th Ward
How long have you lived in Lawrenceville? 1 year and 2 months.
Why did you move to/ stay in Lawrenceville? I love the true neighborhood feel of Lawrenceville with it’s walkability, community events, and small businesses.
Current Employer/ Job Title: Full time: Event Sales and Sponsorship Representative, Neuroleadership Institute.
Part time: Eco-Healthy Early Learning Consultant, Women for a Healthy Environment.
Please list Community Service, Non-Profit, or Board Experience: Director of Community Education at non-profit for five years (Women for a Healthy Environment)
Volunteerism & Community Activism:
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-Selected as one of Pittsburgh’s 50 Finest
- 412 Food Rescue-Volunteer
- Millvale Eco District-Advisory Committee
- Jefferson Collaborative-Member
- LiveWell Allegheny-Community Partner
- Air Quality Collaborative-Community Partner
- Safer Chemicals Healthy Families-State Liaison
- Pittsburgh Food Policy Council-Member
- “Let’s Move” Pittsburgh-Member
- Girls Coalition of Southwestern PA-Steering-Committee Member
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank-Volunteer
- Holy Assumption of St. Mary Orthodox Church-Volunteer
What make Larenceville Unique? Why? Lawrenceville is an eclectic mix of old Pittsburgh and new development. It is a neighborhood with a community feel and the residents who live here are invested in the place they live. They support local businesses, attend community events and speak out if they feel the integrity of the neighborhood is being threatened.
What is was one thing you would to work on within the neighborhood? Why? I would like to work on air quality. Southwestern PA has some of the highest asthma rates in the United States. Lawrenceville is in a valley, located across the river from a high traffic rd (Rt. 28), has continuous trains running through and is home to many businesses that have diesel trucks- all of which put the neighborhood at a disadvantage in terms of air quality. I would like to reduce particle pollution by addressing some of these issues.
What LU program or project most interests you? Why? The block watch program interests me. With so much new development, I think it’s important to be intentional with what gets built in Lawrenceville and how gentrification is addressed.
What is one fun fact that others might be surprised to know about you? I lived in Prague, Czech Republic for one year.